Wiltshire Council - approaches to check us and homes

Started by grahame, Apr 05, 2022, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


We have been matched, Visa applied for and the next stage is the government asks Wiltshire council to check us out.  For others going through the process, here is the introduction and process from the council - shared to help others going down this road

QuoteDear Sponsor,
I am writing to you as you have a successful sponsorship match with Ukrainian refugees and so your details have been passed to us from The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities. We have a number of people who have come forward as part of this scheme which shows the generous nature of Wiltshire residents in offering a safe place to stay. We would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your generosity.
There are now a number of actions which need to be completed which are set out below. 
The government has asked all local authorities to carry out a number of checks including disclosure and barring (DBS) checks and to make at least one in-person visit to homes where people are providing accommodation to Ukrainian families through the sponsorship scheme.
A member of our team will be in touch to arrange the DBS checks for all adults in your household and to set up an initial visit. Specific documents are required for your DBS check and to help you prepare for this we've attached the guidance to this email. Please take time to read through these.
We will arrange the visit either before or shortly after your guest/s have arrived so we can carry out the necessary checks including ensuring the accommodation is going to be suitable for your guest. If the guest has already arrived we will also check they are well and there are no welfare concerns.
After all relevant checks have taken place, we will also provide further advice and support for you and your guests, including how to access education provision and work and benefits.
Details of the role and responsibilities of Wiltshire Council under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme can be found at Homes for Ukraine: guidance for councils - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
We will be in contact with you soon to follow up on these actions but please be aware due to the large number of people stepping forward to help this may take a few days. You do not need to contact us during this time as we are working to action your sponsorship and will be in touch as soon as possible.
Kind regards
Refugee Resettlement and Migration Service

QuoteDear Graham
Good Morning,
I will be carrying out your DBS check to enable you to be a Sponsor.  Please could you send me your documents and your National Insurance number so I can begin the process. I will also need a list of your home addresses if you haven't lived in your current home for five years.
The documents required are:
Photocard Drivers Licence (FRONT AND BACK)
A valid Passport
A utility bill (dated within three months)
The documents required are for all members of your household aged 16 and over.
Should you experience any problems, please email me at [redacted]@wiltshire.gov.uk.
Kind regards,
Administration Assistant
Refugee and Migration Service

Both Lisa and I have passports and driving licenses - I wonder what happened if you don't, or if only drivers who are international travels can apply  ;D
Melksham Town Councillor (South Ward) - special interests including travel and transportation, economy and climate. Retired IT trainer, helping with the Ukraine UK forum